DIY: Geo Painting

A lot of people have asked me about the painting I have hanging in our dining room.  It's pretty hard to miss with it's super bright colors and graphic lines.  This was actually one of the first DIY projects I completed for our space.  We needed artwork and couldn't afford anything I wanted! So I picked up a canvas and went to work.  I never anticipated keeping it up this long but it's really grown on me and I can't imagine anything else in it's space.  

It was a little time consuming but really pretty easy! unfortunately I didn't document the entire process but did manage to snap a few pics along the way. 

I was inspired by a graphic design I saw online and used it as my guide.  I stretched blue painters tape across the length of the canvas making sure it wrapped around the sides and equally spaced it out by it's own height.

I was inspired by a graphic design I saw online and used it as my guide.  I stretched blue painters tape across the length of the canvas making sure it wrapped around the sides and equally spaced it out by it's own height.

I cut out an arrow shape from cardboard to use as a template for my angled lines where the color changed.  I traced this arrow randomly all over the canvas changing it's direction every so often.  I then took acrylic paint and mixed various tones of blue/green and painted in the sections.  I tried to do my best to make the color placement look random and evenly spaced  all at the same time.   

I cut out an arrow shape from cardboard to use as a template for my angled lines where the color changed.  I traced this arrow randomly all over the canvas changing it's direction every so often.  I then took acrylic paint and mixed various tones of blue/green and painted in the sections.  I tried to do my best to make the color placement look random and evenly spaced  all at the same time.   

I peeled back the tape to reveal the unpainted rows of canvas.  I maticulously painted the blank sections with a thin paint brush.  I didn't have taped lines to ensure a straight edge so this part was particularly time consuming as it took a very steady hand.  I was also 7 months pregnant and couldn't bend over for long periods of time!

I peeled back the tape to reveal the unpainted rows of canvas.  I maticulously painted the blank sections with a thin paint brush.  I didn't have taped lines to ensure a straight edge so this part was particularly time consuming as it took a very steady hand.  I was also 7 months pregnant and couldn't bend over for long periods of time!

The finished product.

The finished product.

You obviously don't have to be super artistic to accomplish a piece like this.  It's really just about measuring and taping, then it's as simple as color by number.  

So don't be afraid to get your hands a little dirty - it can pay off in a big way!